Still no sign of three overdue NWT travellers

Still no sign of three overdue NWT travellers



Police in the Northwest Territories say they are continuing the search for three people missing since late Monday between Dettah and Łutselk’e.

Sam Boucher, Cammy Boucher, and an unnamed third traveller were reported overdue on Tuesday.

Despite three days of aerial searches, an RCMP news release on Thursday evening suggested there was no sign of the trio.

Sam, 65 – understood to be the father of 23-year-old Cammy – and another man had been travelling with a snowmobile and two toboggans, police said earlier.

“The search continues with multiple air search assets deployed to different areas of Great Slave Lake in an effort to locate the missing three people,” police said on Thursday.

“The search area, at this time, ranges from Yellowknife to Fort Resolution and Łutselk’e.

“The search has been restricted to air resources as the ice conditions are treacherous and continue to deteriorate. RCMP emphasizes restraint from individual search attempts due to deteriorating ice conditions.”

Police urged anyone with information about the group’s whereabouts to contact their local detachment.

“Updates will be provided as information becomes available,” said RCMP.

Sam Boucher was the focus of a previous search and rescue mission in 2011, when he was reported overdue after helping to find another missing community member.

NNSL reported Boucher was missing for several days before being found, safe and well, approximately 50 km southwest of Łutselk’e.

He had reportedly been towing a disabled snowmobile back to the community when both the disabled machine and his own snowmobile sank, leaving him without transportation.

Source:
OLLIE WILLIAMS

May 16, 2019 / by / in