Toronto Police say missing man has fled the country

Toronto Police say missing man has fled the country


A man who went missing from Centre for Addiction and Mental Health two weeks ago has fled the country, police said Tuesday.

On Monday police issued a release saying 47-year-old Zhebin Cong had been missing since July 3, and was last seen in the Queen Street and Ossington Avenue area at around 4 p.m. that day.

Zhebin Cong was previously charged with first-degree murder, but was found not criminally responsible for the stabbing death of 56-year-old San Tai Yuan in September 2014. At the time, police described the crime scene as one of the most gruesome they had ever seen.

Police confirmed Cong is no longer in Canada:

“On July 3, 2019, the Toronto Police Service were informed of a missing person and opened an investigation regarding Zhebin Cong. The Toronto Police Service has now confirmed that Zhebin Cong has fled the country.  He boarded an international flight on the same day he was reported missing.  We are working with international law enforcement agencies on next steps. This is an ongoing investigation.”

The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health says they take public safety very seriously and that patients are only allowed to engage with the community if they have met several set conditions.

A full report from Toronto police is expected in the coming days.

July 16, 2019 / by / in